(Revised – Mar 27, 2013)
At Acronym Media, Inc. (“Acronym”), we are a privacy-conscious organization. We are strongly committed to protecting your privacy online. Because we gather certain types of information about our users, we want to help you understand the terms and conditions surrounding the collection and use of that information. Our pledge is to use reasonable measures to safeguard any personal information that you provide us, and to make every reasonable effort to use this information only as you choose.
The goal of this Privacy Notice is to advise you of the online privacy practices of acronym.com and to describe the choices you have about the way the information collected on this site is used.
- If you have accessed the Services provided by the Site via a website of one of our affiliates, then any information you provide is provided to and shared between us and them under privacy controls not less stringent than those for www.acronym.com.
Your Personal Information
Acronym’s primary goals in collecting personal information about you are, first, to give you a meaningful, enjoyable, and personalized website experience and, second, to facilitate the development of new products and services relevant to consumers like you. Personal information also allows us to provide better service to you by tailoring our communications to match your interests- deliver more of what you want and less of what you don’t want. Here are the types of information we gather:
Information You Explicitly Provide
In order to, register products, or to participate in various online programs offered through acronym.com, you will be asked to provide certain personally identifiable information to us such as your name, mailing address, e-mail address, and phone number. You can choose not to provide this information but then you might not be able to participate in some of our services or offerings.
Information We Automatically Collect:
We use common internet technologies such as cookies and beacons to ensure the integrity of our site and to customize portions of the site for you.
Cookies are small pieces of information stored by your browser on your computer’s hard drive, at a web site’s request. Acronym cookies do not contain any personal information, but are used primarily as follows:
- to keep track of temporary information. For example, cookies allow us to keep track of the documents you download;
- to register you in programs, such as acronym.com newsletter. Cookies allow us to remember you when you login to the places on our site that require Membership;
- to remember your country and language preferences;
- to help us understand the size of our audience and traffic patterns;
- to collect and record information about what you viewed on our Web site and what you viewed in our e-mail;
- to manage and present site information and the pictures displayed on your computer, and
- to deliver information specific to your interests.
We also place small “tracker gifs” or “beacons” on many of the pages on our website and in our email. We use these beacons, in connection with cookies, to collect non-personal data on the usage of our site including but not limited to the date and time of the visit, the pages visited, the referring web page, the type of browser (e.g., Internet Explorer, Chrome, Safari, etc.), the type of operating system (e.g., Windows or Mac), and the domain name of the visitor’s Internet service provider (e.g., AOL). This information is collected about thousands of site visits and analyzed as a whole.
Disabling Cookies and beacons
Information from Other Sources
We sometimes obtain additional information about you, such as demographic and lifestyle information, from other sources and merge it with information we have collected on this site, as well as information you may have provided offline. We use this information as stated below.
Using your Information
Acronym only uses your personal information to conduct business with you. Some examples include:
- registering you in programs
- creating and maintaining accounts
- answering your email
- communicating with you
- sending surveys
- notifying you of special promotions
- attributing content that you make available through the Site
- communicating with you regarding customer service related issues
We may also use this personal information to provide you with information related to your account, the products or services you purchase from us, to better understand your needs and interests, to aggregate your information into non-specific statistical data about our users for our own analysis and for our sponsors, to improve our service and to personalize communications. We may disclose your personal information if we believe it necessary to share information in order to investigate, prevent or take action regarding potential illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the physical safety of any person or the security of any property, violations of our terms of service or otherwise as required by law.
Does Acronym.com Share the Information It Receives?
Your personally identifiable information will not be rented or sold to any third party. Acronym may share your personal information as follows:
- Companies who work on our behalf We contract with other companies to perform business support functions on our behalf, which may involve limited access to your personal information. We require these companies to use the information only to provide the contracted services; they are prohibited from transferring the information to another party except as needed to provide those services. Some examples of these business support functions include order customer survey execution and information systems management. We also may make aggregate non-personal information available to select service providers.
- Acronym’s subsidiaries and joint ventures: A subsidiary or a joint venture is an organization in which Acronym owns at least a 50% interest. If Acronym shares your information with a subsidiary or joint venture partner, Acronym will require that they not transfer your information to another party for marketing purposes
- Business Transfers Acronym reserves the right to transfer your personal information in connection with the sale or transfer of all or a portion of our business or assets. If the business is sold or transferred, Acronym will give you an opportunity to tell us not to transfer your personal information. In some cases, this may mean that the new organization will not be able to continue providing to you the services or products that Acronym provided.
- Law Enforcement: Acronym may disclose personal information to third parties without your consent for any of the following reasons: to comply with any law, regulation or court order, to cooperate with Government investigations, to help prevent fraud or to enforce or protect the rights of Acronym or its subsidiaries.
- With Your Consent In all other cases, Acronym will obtain your express consent before sharing your information with third parties.
Your Choices about Receiving E-mail
Acronym may send you email about your account and in response to your questions. Acronym and its subsidiaries may also send you e-mail with information about products and services that may be of interest to you, unless you indicate you do not want to receive them.
We will give you an opportunity to let us know your preference regarding the receiving of promotional email when you register for a service, when you provide us with your personal information, or when we send you email. If you choose not to accept this promotional email, you may not receive special offers that may be of value to you. This option applies to promotional e-mail only, as we may find it necessary to send you email relating to your account.
Promotional email that you receive from Acronym will tell you how to decline receiving future promotional email.
Protecting Your Information
Acronym implements a variety of administrative, managerial, and technical security measures to help protect your personal information. Acronym has Internal Control Standards which relate specifically to the handling of personal information. These include certain controls to help safeguard the information we collect online. Acronym employees are trained to understand and comply with these controls and we communicate our Privacy Notice, practices and guidelines to our employees. However, while we strive to protect your personal information, you must also take steps to protect your information. We urge you to take every precaution to protect your personal information while you are on the Internet.
Some of our sites may enable you to participate in public services such as discussion boards, chats, and live events. Please use discretion when posting personal information about yourself when using these services. Be aware that when you disclose personal information at these sites, such as your name, member name, email address, etc., the information may be collected and used by others to send unsolicited email. The services are open to the public, and what you post there can be seen by anyone and is not protected. Acronym cannot control the comments that you may receive while you participate in these services. You may find other people’s comments to be offensive, harmful or inaccurate.
Children’s Privacy Protecting the online privacy of children is especially important, and those under the age of 13 are protected by federal law. For that reason, Acronym does not knowingly permit children under the age of 13 to become registered members of our sites. Acronym does not knowingly collect or solicit personal information about children under 13.
Protecting the online privacy of children is especially important, and those under the age of 13 are protected by federal law. For that reason, Acronym does not knowingly permit children under the age of 13 to become registered members of our sites. Acronym does not knowingly collect or solicit personal information about children under 13. If you are under the age of 13, we ask you not to use or access the Site.
Some Acronym websites contain links to and from other websites and Acronym is not responsible for the privacy practices of those websites. Acronym encourages you to ascertain the privacy practices of those websites.
Keeping Your Information Accurate
You have the option of sending an email to the address noted in the “How to Reach Us” section below to request a change to your information or a copy of the personal information we have collected about you online. There may be a nominal charge for information requested. We will make every reasonable effort to make sure your requests are met. To protect your privacy, proof of identity is required.
How to Reach Us
If you have questions or concerns about your privacy when using an Acronym Web site, please contact us by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail at:
Empire State Building
350 Fifth Avenue, Suite 6520
New York, New York 10118
Acronym’s Online Privacy team will work with you to resolve any concerns you have about this Notice.
Acronym makes considerable efforts to honor the laws and wishes of our users. However, the Site and the Services are intended for users located inside the United States of America, and our servers are located in the United States of America. Please note that any information you communicate will be transferred to, accessed in and governed by the laws of the United States of America. If you are located outside the United States of America, you consent to these terms and expressly waive the application of any other laws by accessing the Site.
Changes to this Privacy Notice
Acronym reserves the right to modify this Privacy Notice from time to time, by posting a prominent announcement on this page. In particular situations, Acronym may, in its sole discretion, elect to notify by email all customers whose personal information we have retained. Changes take effect on the earlier of the posting or the email notice.
This Privacy Notice was last amended on March 27, 2013